Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thanksgiving?

So thanksgiving weekend in Korea ended with a great spaghetti and wine dinner. Yes the turkey and stuffing was greatly missed, but two problems prevailed. First was no turkey, possible from a gray market store one could be obtained. However if we did indulge in this smuggled from the army base imported goodness, the second problem is that we have no oven. So pasta it was.
Today I had my first tinge of homesickness. Mind you Japan was much worse, but there are times when you remember and miss. With that said though Korea has been so amazing. Job is great still getting settled, but easing into it more every day. Working with friends and having a community here to start with is an amazing blessing. Our church "Jubilee" blows me away every Sunday. The leadership and pastor have a heart I have never seen back home. Every Sunday I am so challenged to strengthen my relationship with Christ. We are meeting a lot of people at Church and have signed up for small groups which will be starting shortly.
What is a normal week like for me? Wake up at 4:40 get on the bus by 5:40. Work starts at 6 am. After 3 two hour classes, we have a lounge hour where students come to just talk, then lunch or prep for another hour. Then off by 2 pm I have the rest of the afternoon. In the afternoon/evening usually I go for a run/walk up the nearby mountain. Also there are always new places to explore or go shopping. I am really hoping to find a nearby bath/sauna house which I can frequent weekly. Soon I hope to also start learning some Korean so between that exercising, exploring and shopping, life is full.
That's all for now. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: